For many years, Capgemini has taken a proactive role in gaining a better understanding of the Third Party Logistics (3PL) industry. For the 2012 Study, published in late 2011, we collaborated with Penn State University, Panalpina, Heidrick & Struggles and eyefortransport. This is the 16th Annual Study of 3PL industry developments.
A Global Study
The study examines critical trends and issues in key markets and for customers in the 3PL industry. It has strong industry representation, with over 2,200 participants from different industry sectors around the world. The study team holds workshops with 3PL users in different regions of the world and conducts focused interviews with different industry experts.
Key Objectives of the Third Party Logistics Study
- Understand what shippers outsource and what 3PL providers offer
- Identify trends in shipper expenditures for 3PL services and recognize key shipper and 3PL perspectives on the use and provision of logistics services
- Update our knowledge of 3PL-shipper relationships, and learn how both types of organizations are using these relationships to improve and enhance their businesses
- Quantify the benefits reported by shippers that are attributed to the use of 3PLs
- Examine why companies outsource or elect not to outsource to 3PL providers
- Take an in-depth look at topics relevant to the current environment – for 2012 those topics are emerging markets, talent management and the electronics industry vertical